Friday, December 12, 2008

Trouble in Scranton?

I know there are at least two Office lovers reading this blog, so I have to ask...does The Office seem like it's been a little off lately? Maybe it's just me, but I am feeling like the scenarios are kind of recycled and the jokes are so much the same: Michael says the wrong thing and everyone groans. I think it's pretty amazing that I watched every episode for 3+ years before feeling this way. I think The Office has fantastic, clever writers and great actors, but in my opinion they've hit a bit of a wall. Of course I was just as desperate as everyone else for Jim and Pam to get together, but now that they're getting married, it's not going anywhere. I also loved the Andy-Angela - Dwight triangle, and for a few episodes it was excellent, but now it is so implausible. There is no reason in the world why Angela would still be with Andy, except that she's on a TV show and the writers don't yet know what comes next.

I was glad that the ending of last night's episode was so completely awesome, because I thought the rest of it was boring and not funny. But - the last five minutes were great.

When I think back over the TV shows that I have loved and followed - X-Files, West Wing, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, The Office - all of them have gotten a little stuck at some point. We did follow the West Wing until the bitter end, but the last two seasons were a mere shadow of the first two (the middle seasons were a steady decline). Grey's Anatomy and The X-Files, we just stopped watching. Eventually both just started to feel like they were grasping at straws, and the smartness and cleverness that we loved at the beginning turned into your basic soap opera. I hope The Office can turn this around.

Other opinions?

We have really been enjoying 30 Rock, and next week is the last episode of our guilty pleasure: The Biggest Loser. I am rooting for Michelle to win.

3 comments:

GJ said...

Becky, Tim and I watch the Office. I get what you're saying, but for some reason I am still a fan. I wanted Jim and Pam together too, but I agree that story is a little stale. Tim and I think Andy is pretty hilarious, I'll be sad when he's gone (he has to go, right?). Maybe the last few episodes will turn things around.
What about Lost? I'm a huge Lost fan too although I have to talk things out with Kathryn sometimes to make sure I understand what's happening.

Special K said...

The only one I watch of all of those is Biggest Loser. I don't really care who wins except I do NOT want Vicky to win. I do love Michelle though! Also, I adored Coleen so I would love if she won the prize for most lost overall or since they left the show or whatever.

O'BoyMom said...

I feel guilty when I watch biggest loser too- but for different reasons...I thought The Office was fantastic the other night and both J and I were like- why couldn't the whole season have been this good. I am eagerly awaiting Lost this year. Will you cover it on your blog?