Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Antique Sale Finds

This Sunday I went to my first antique show.  It really was more of an antique show, less of a flea market, as we saw lots of really high-priced collectible and truly antique items.  I am looking more for "old" furniture and things to refurbish and craft with, and I did manage to find a couple of things that I love.  We also collected up flyers and brochures for several local markets and antique shows throughout the summer, which I am super excited about.  I am already starting to think about all the wonderful old junk out there that will fit right into our home!  Since we will have the whole basement to furnish, and I already know which pieces of furniture I am planning to move down there, we have space for a couple "new" things upstairs. 
Anyway, I have been pondering this table at Wisteria:
Even though it is not terribly expensive, I hadn't committed to the purchase. I am so glad I didn't because at the antique show, I found something similar with a lot more history and two great, old black wooden folding chairs to go along with it:
The whole set cost $40 and has so much more depth of character than a brand new table purchased online.  This table is two simple metal legs and a piece of wood screwed to the top.  Not only do I love the look and feel of this kind of furniture, but it is so easy to have with 3 small children.  I do not worry about how they treat these pieces.  Honestly, if one of the children did something to damage this table or chairs, it would be no big deal.  It might even make them look cooler.  If I had to throw it out, I have lost very little.  That's the fun of do-it-yourself cottage style!  Click the photo above to get a better look at the set and you'll see what I mean.
The tabletop was a dark blue-black color which I liked, but didn't really fit in with our home and the black chairs.  I have been thinking about Layla's dry brushed dining table and how great that project turned out, so I decided to try the dry brushing technique on this little table.  It was moderately easy and I am really happy with the results.  Basically, you fill your paintbrush with paint and then squeeze as much of the paint out of it as you can.  Then you brush what remains onto your piece.  It is time consuming but actually fun.  Here's a close-up of the dry brushing:
Finally, here's a shot of the whole room, with my antique sale finds in their home:
You can see the former photo wall has also been painted...which is another story for another time!

3 comments:

O'BoyMom said...

Love it! That is exactly where I thought it would go! Now I am mourning the loss of the possible toothbrush holder jar thingy. St. Joe, here we come!

Molly Anne said...

What a fabulous set! It has a lot of character and your dry brushing looks fantastic.

Megan Gunyan said...

Your room is darling! I love the feel of it. The table is a wonderful find, you did a great job with the dry brushing!