Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Few Things

Happy Election Day! What an exciting day. I've already voted. I cast my ballot at 7:55 AM and was #268. That is so telling. People are voting in record numbers even here in C-U.
I am sure Kevin and I will submit to our inner news junkies and follow the news all day. I am listening to POTUS '08 on my XM Radio as I type (channel 130).
I am excited about the Obama rally in Grant Park tonight. Even though he's not my candidate, I think it is so cool for the city of Chicago to be a part of history in that way. It is really cool thinking of all the times I've been in Grant Park, with my aunt and uncle to see the 4th of July fireworks, for the Taste of Chicago, etc. and now this major historical event is taking place there tonight. I hope everyone will be safe and enjoy the celebration.
Megan are you going to it? Anyone else in Chicago going to Grant Park today?

Last night John's Cub Scout troop had an election event. I thought they did a nice job with it, and John definitely came away with some life lessons learned. They did a voting activity with the boys, where they chose a summer activity for the troop. The boys were divided into 3 groups. Each group had to come up with some ideas for a fun summer activity, then vote on one activity to represent their group (primary election). Group one chose laser tag, group two water balloon fights and group three, a camping trip. Then, two boys from each group had to explain in front of all the boys why their idea was the best, and then answer any questions the boys had (debate). Finally, the boys lined up and cast secret ballots. Laser tag won. John voted for the camping trip and he was genuinely disappointed that his choice didn't win. We had the chance to talk about that, and how laser tag is still fun even though it wasn't his number one choice. What a wonderful teachable moment.
They also did a mock presidential election. Obama got 15 boys' votes and McCain got 16, thus winning by one vote. Another great moment for John to see how if one person had changed their vote, it would have changed the entire election. Before the voting, some bigger boys were trying to pressure all the younger boys into voting for Obama. This was fascinating to watch. Kevin and I could see a real internal struggle happening with John, who wanted to go along with the older boys, but also knew that he wanted to vote for McCain (who he likes primarly because his name is John M.). He did stick to his convictions and, as we told him, his one vote won the mock election for McCain. By staying true to himself his candidate won. So powerful!
Although we had to eat dinner in about 8 minutes and rush everyone out the door to attend this event, I am so glad we did it.

In other news...Isaac had his first solid food yesterday! He did so great with it. I boiled a sweet potato and mashed it up. I added 1 tsp. of sweet potato to 2 tbsp. of Mama milk. He did great with the spoon and stared intently into my eyes the whole time, as if he knew something very important was happening to him. It was a nice experience. The rule of thumb is, stick to one food for 4 days and watch for allergic reactions. So Boo will have his sweeties (as I call them) for 4 days, and I bought some organic bananas to give him next.

I bought myself a Christmas organizer and planner, which should surprise pretty much nobody. I LOVE it!! Oh my gosh there's a little place for everything. Gift lists, Christmas card addresses, a holiday calendar, recipe storage, menu planning, etc. It is Becky type A heaven. I am going to work on it while Isaac is taking his nap this morning. Whee!

Have a great day and do your civic duty!

4 comments:

O'BoyMom said...

Becky- it is time to start selling ad space- I just bought the Christmas planner you recommended!

GJ said...

Becky, you must tell me about this Christmas organizer/planner thing, as I am also Type A and love nothing more than organizing and compartmentalizing, and any help I can get with doing that this Christmas would be swell.
Oh--and did you do cereal with Isaac first?

Anonymous said...

Love the story about the voting, glad John stood up for his beliefs : )

No, I'm not going to the rally. My office closed at 3 today, they're encouraging everyone to vote, as well as get the heck out of downtown! But I will be watching the results come in with a bunch of friends!

Special K said...

Loved the story about the voting- I think I'm learning more about your kids and their ages just by reading your blog- yeah:)

I'm so not Type A. More Type B. As in Plan B. Like Plan A is too much work, the kids are freaking out about Plan A, and the dog is whining. Let's hang out on the couch and do Plan B. But I still think I NEED a planner. Cause it sounds cool!