This weekend I broke "the rule." What is the rule you ask? It's listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I absolutely love Christmas music and listen to it just about 24/7 for the entire Christmas season. So, to keep my family from going bonkers (and because it's just not right to mistreat Thanksgiving like that), I have a strict rule of no Christmas music until the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Well, on the way to Ohio this weekend, I was scanning through the radio stations and somewhere past Indianapolis I found a station that was already playing all Christmas music. For a split second I thought about changing the station, but instead gleefully broke the rule and we all had a good laugh about it.
Here are a few of my favorites, and least favorites too. Check some of the best out on ITunes and you won't regret it! Go ahead and check out the awful ones too just for fun.
**Post some of your Christmas music likes and dislikes in the comments, please!**
Absolute worst Christmas song of all time: It's a tie between "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney, and "Last Christmas" by Wham. Although, I think McCartney takes it by a hair.
The Why, Dear God, Why award goes to: "The Christmas Shoes" by NewSong. Why, dear God, why, would someone make a song about a little boy with no money whose mother dies of cancer on Christmas Eve?? I can start crying within the first five notes of this song. I have been known to stop mid-sentence and leap across the kitchen to change the station when this comes on. Blech.
Absolute best secular Christmas song: "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. Are you surprised that my fave is from a musical?
Absolute best sacred Christmas song: Tie between "Jesus, Born On Christmas Day" by Avalon and "Welcome To Our World" by Chris Rice. Not to be missed.
Some other favorites: "Do You Hear What I Hear" by Whitney Houston, anything by the Carpenters, "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole
Some other duds: anything by Aaron Neville, "Pretty Paper" by Willie Nelson, "Run Run Rudolph" sung by anyone.
15 hours ago
9 comments:
Oh geez, that song by Wham is HORRIBLE. And I agree about the christmas shoes, it's so depressing.
My favs:
Christmas Time is Here
I'll be Home For Christmas
nes I can't stand:
Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer
Feliz Navidad
Gene Autry anything
"Wintersong" album by Sarah McChlaclan (however you spell her name!)
"Joy" album by Jewel. I am long over Jewel songs, but love the Christmas album
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is my FAV too!!!
Though I agree that "Christmas Shoes" is horrible, I have to admit, I have a very guilty love of "Last Christmas" by WHAM : )
What?? "Oh Holy Night" didn't make it on your best sacred songs list? That's my fave by far! I also love "Mary Did You Hear".
I agree with you about "Christmas Shoes", too. It only recently dawned on me that I was not obliged to listen to it when it came on. The fact "these things happen" does not mean that I have to listen to songs about them repeatedly during that Christmas season. I do much better thinking about the One who can "dispere the gloomy clouds of night, And death's dark shadows put to flight"(my personal favorite, no matter who is singing it!)
O Holy Night is Kevin's favorite Christmas carol. I love all the comments!!
My dad still plays his old reel-to-reel Christmas tunes and they are truly my fav. They are oooold school from the 60's and 70's. Babs is on there with a crazy Jingle Bells that I love to imitate- also Ave Maria- Gounod Version. I am such a Christmas music junkie I have sing along cd's- purchased back in the day when I was a choir director.
I love Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas is You"...it always puts me in an optimistic mood. :)
I definitely agree about "The Christmas Shoes" ...it was a great little coffee table book, or TV special...but not a song! I dont like crying on my way to work!! :)
Classic songs: Amy Grant Christmas and Bing Crosby singing "The Christmas Song" and "White Christmas" brings back so many good memories!
You obviously have never heard "War is Over (Merry Christmas)" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono...that is one of the worst Christmas songs ever. And this is coming from a Lennon fan (more so in my younger days). I don't think the song would be so bad if it weren't for Yoko's banchee singing in the refrain. I know John loved her but couldn't he tell her nicely she couldn't be on his album???
Post a Comment