Saturday, August 30, 2008

Different Worlds

I quick anecdote about peoples perceptions of the political scene:

Becky and I got to go on a date tonight. It was great. We went to the FlatTop grill, which we love. We talked about all kinds of awesome stuff. I'm a lucky guy to get to spend my days with her.

Anyway, at Flattop grill you pick your ingredients, they stir fry it for you and bring it to your table. You get a little stick to put in your bowl that you write your name on. That way the right person gets the right bowl.

I always like to mess around with the waiter at this point. I usually write "Ralph Wiggum" on my stick, which is usually good for a laugh or a "We got a real funny guy" look from the waiter. Tonight inspiration struck and I grabbed Becky's stick as well. I wrote "John McCain" on mine and "Sarah Palin" on hers. I thought it was corny, but topical. I was happy.

Well the waitress brings us the food (delicious!) and for the rest of the night calls Becky, "Sarah"! She had no idea what I was getting at! I was reminded that even through Becky and I totally geek out about politics, for most people it's far far away.

I wonder if she thought my name was "John".....

No comments: