Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Things

I feel like, in the past couple of weeks, I have been bombarded with negative stuff. There is a lot of bad news out in my world right now. I never want to buy anything made in China ever again. Our economy has tanked and it appears that Sarah Palin doesn't read. Nobody knows what to do about any of it. Some friends have been struggling with this and that, and it just seems like there is an unusually high level of things to fuss, complain, moan, bitch, rant, and be upset about in my life lately. At the end of the day I just want to watch TV and fall asleep. Blech.
So today I am making a concerted effort to remind myself of all the things I love. There are a lot. I am taking a break from the news today and thinking positive thoughts. I am going to add to my happy stuff list all day. Here goes.

A few of my favorite things.


  • Number one favorite thing of all time - having a conversation with Kevin. I don't think there will ever be something I enjoy more than talking to Kevin.
  • John laughing, Lucy laughing, Isaac laughing
  • Remembering our trip to Disney World
  • Grimes family Christmas
  • Visiting friends out of town: St. Louis, Chicago suburbs, Minneapolis
  • Our backyard swimming pool
  • Getting a magazine in the mail. My favorites: Everyday with Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart Body and Soul, Faith and Family.
  • Putting on pajamas, turning on the fireplace, making hot chocolate and reading to the kids sitting on the couch under a blanket. We do this almost religiously after school around the holidays.
  • Brats on the grill and corn on the cob
  • The 20+ kids from our long time playgroup growing up together, and us 6 moms growing up together
  • Musicals made into movies
  • THE 'BUCKS - right now, pumpkin spice frappucino
  • The way Isaac smells after his bath
  • Going on a date with Kevin, especially to Flat Top Grill, sitting and talking for hours
  • Chris Tomlin
  • Lost
  • Jhumpa Lahiri and the best book ever, Interpreter of Maladies
  • Father Mark's homilies
  • Going to the Farmer's Market with Kevin and the kids
  • When I think John is asleep at night and he's reading with a little light under his blankets
  • Having breakfast with the family at Courier Cafe on Saturday mornings
  • Marcia's "Friendship Day" celebration last year and the lovely things all of John's classmates said about each other
  • Stampin' Up
  • John and Lucy's art and craft projects from school
  • Hearts At Home day with Michelle and Emily
  • Brooks and Shields, but only if Kevin is with me
  • Hearing my dad recount the White Sox victory at the World Series game he went to

1 comment:

Special K said...

I love that you are so in love with Kevin. It makes me so happy. Of all of our friends, your relationship reminds me most of mine. Like you have this secret friendship no one can break, no one can understand, no one can comprehend. It's the best most secure feeling in the world:) Love it.