Sunday, September 28, 2008

Power of Boo

So I'm slowly but surely working my way to my masters degree. This semester's class is all about parallel processing. I'm doing an image processing project based on JPEG2000. Believe me it's way cooler than it sounds. If you watch a movie on a "digital projector" at the theater, you are watching JPEG2000.

So to wrap my head around the problem I wrote a program that reduces images to smaller and smaller sizes using the Discrete Wavelet Transform, also much cooler than it sounds.

I needed a good test image so I got one of Isaac sleeping. Each image is a square, and twice the width of the previous one. Here are the results from the bottom up.

The cutest possible one pixel image:




The cutest possible 16 element matrix:







This is the most interesting one to me. This image contains only 0.1% of the pixels of the final image, but I think most people would say "That is a face". Our human ability to identify faces is amazing.










The optimally cute 1 Megapixel image.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the fact that he is holding his own finger!

Lizzy said...

Good thing you didn't go any bigger than 1 megapixel. I'm not sure I can take any more cuteness!!