John is a Cub Scout now and his first scouting event was the Raingutter Regatta last Sunday. He and I worked on a little wooden boat all week. He chose colors and we painted it red and silver together. He added some American flag stickers and glued on the other parts. It was a great opportunity for us to work on a project together and for John to feel confident about his ideas and his abilities to paint and build the boat. It was a great chance for me, as a parent, to practice that restraint and patience that parents need when their kids are learning new skills and doing things their way. Of course I wanted to "fix" the little spots where the paint wasn't quite right, or reapply the crooked stickers, etc. But I didn't and was so glad that in the end John's boat turned out just the way he wanted it to be.
Here's a photo of John racing his boat, with his favorite buddy Allen cheering him on in the background!

No comments:
Post a Comment